Friday, January 12, 2007

Another Time, Highlander!

It's official: this semester I shall be living film, whether I be eating, sleeping, or scrounging through garbage.

In the next couple of days, I'll be shooting my first short for 290, for which I am attempting to storyboard as I type. I've also begun thinking about other projects for this semester, and have actually managed to be timely in preparing the next segment of my script for 206. I was advised that I'd have to master time management for this term, and after this week I wholeheartedly concur. But I'm not worried about it being hard, because it all is starting seem like it's gonna be fun--a helluva lot of work to be sure, but fun.

Thinking of ideas, while I was having a late-night snack before going to bed I flipped on the TV and the first Highlander film was on. Having seen it through Netflix last semester, I was reminded of how I felt that the concept was interesting, but the movie is ultimately unenjoyable because of some über-cheesy lines, an unattractive romantic interest for the hero, cheap special effects, and some disjointed storytelling. Also strange is having a Frenchman playing a Scottish highlander and a Scotsman playing a Spaniard-Egyptian nobleman, though Sean Connery is easily the best part of the film after the cool concept.

I couldn't help but think of how the film could be improved if it were to be remade, making the story more cohesive and taking advantage of improvements in special effects technology. Remaking something that could artistically benefit from the process, in other words, as opposed to remaking something that was already successful to make money (*ahem Psycho *ahem). I thought about this watching it in the fall and dismissed it, but the need seemed equally pronounced watching the little snippet I caught of the film last night. I suppose that any attempt to improve it would raise calls of "Lambert forever!" and "Connery rulez, b&@tch!!" or some other such deriding comment.

Certainly, Highlander is entertaining to watch. While not exactly nail-biting, it has plentiful action sequences and the "cheese" factor provides a few good laughs, and Clancy Brown as the Kurgan always injects some life into his scenes; you kick ass, Mr. Krabs. However, this is all a very-low level of enjoyment; enjoyable, yes, but only in that "this is so 80s" way. As a fan of fantasy and science-fiction, I find it a shame that the concept of the film be left to wither in what is objectively a mediocre effort. I've not subjected myself to the sequels, which I've heard are abysmal and make Highlander appear to be at the level of Citizen Kane, nor do I remember much of the television series, save that it seemed kind of cool when I was in elementary school.

A story about a race of Immortals fighting to control the fate of humanity is cool. Bad lightning effects and lines fit for a Steven Seagal movie are only cool in a "that sucks so bad it's AWESOME!" way. Highlander deserves to exist in a state of true quality. Obviously I'm busy now, but some day I may just have to give it a crack at rewriting the film just to see if I can do better, and to see if it can be done better. Some day, but not this day.

This day I am 290's bitch.

P.S. If anybody is having trouble getting mini-DVs this weekend, I have plenty for the time being, so just let me know. Good luck!

No comments: